Are you in love with the transparency of bare windows but you’d like more privacy? Well, these days you have the chance to install sheer or blockout curtains which can provide privacy without suffocating the room and depraving it of its ligth. There is a large selection of fabrics ranging in thickness, density, quality, colour and pattern. Both of these types of curtains have their own way of adding appeal and functionality to a room.
Sheer curtains have been present on the market for quite a long time and they are considered timeless. Regardless of the type, a sheer curtain fabric can work perfectly with modern, Scandinavian, traditional, contemporary, or simply said with any type of home look/style. Without any effort, a sheer curtain fabric can add elegance to home while allowing light to filter through them. They can be used as a wall-to-wall treatment or combined with drapes or blockout curtains. There are lots of reasons why people decide to use them in their homes.
- They Maximise Natural Light – Since these curtains are transparent, they allow natural daylight to enter the room creating a romantic, elegant and sunny atmosphere during the day. Although transparent, they still can provide privacy, especially during the day but without blocking your view.
- They are Versatile – As already mentioned, these curtains can be used on their own or in a combination with heavier drapes. When used with drapes, they can offer better privacy which is more needed during nighttime.
- They are Cost-effective – When compared with heavier drapes or blinds, sheers are way more affordable. However, if you already have roller blinds or Venetian blinds, for instance, but want to beautify your home, adding sheers over the blinds is also an option.
What is the Best Fabric for Sheer Curtains?
While polyester and silk are among the most commonly used types of sheer fabrics, there are many others to choose from. All of them can add a luxurious feel in the room, you just need to choose the right type and install them properly.
As the name implies, the main purpose of blockout curtains is to block out any type of light. This is because they are made of dense and tightly woven materials that can be both – heavy and lightweight. Except for offering nighttime privacy, they can be used during daytime as well when the sun is too bright and hot. Nowadays, you can choose from a range of materials ranging in thickness and appearance. And while all of them can offer privacy, not all of them can provide you with sound and noise reduction. Here’s more on what you can expect.
- They Can Reduce Noise & Sound – No matter how beautiful living in an urban area can be, sometimes the noise can distrupt your sleep at night. Today’s types of blockout curtains usually have an extra thick inner lining that has the ability to dampen and absorb the sound even before it reaches the home. This makes blockout curtains great for those of you who simply enjoy a quiet sleep but also for those of you who have little children.
- They Have Thermo-insulation Properties – Except for the aforementioned things, blockout curtains are also great in controlling the temperature. Since these curtains can block light, they are also great for reducing the heat entering a room. This means that they are ideal for keeping a room cooler in summer and warmer in winter .
- They Are Great for Protecting the Furnishing – Another benefit of using blockout materials is that some of them have UPF 50+ which is great for protecting the floors and furniture from the harmful UV rays.
- They Can Turn a Room from Drab to Fab – Last but not least, these curtains have the power to jazz up any room of your home. Thanks to their appearance they can instantly modernise the room without being too intrusive. When combined with sheer curtains, they can make the room feel more elegant and stylish.
How Should You Care for Such Curtains?
Generally speaking, all types of curtain fabrics allow for spot cleaning and washing. For instance, treating spills and stains immediately by spot cleaning them is the easiest way to keep them clean and nice. Just make sure to use gentler cleansers as to prevent damaging the fabric.
Washing is recommended every now and then (depending on one’s needs), just make sure to follow the manufacturer’s and the general care instructions. Some materials allow only for hand-washing.