Children thrive on outdoor play. Not only is it a fun way to spend their free time, but they also get numerous physical, mental, and emotional benefits. Being outdoors means they get away from the screens and engage their minds and bodies in activities that encourage their development.
A simple game in the backyard can be a powerful teaching tool. Learning through play has always been the best way to acquire new skills – whether that’s a sports game, having fun in the pool, or swimming in the ocean, kids are constantly picking up some ‘how tos’.
Playing outdoors can be all the more amusing when there are exciting toys. From the backyard to the pool and beach, we will explore some of the best outdoor toys that can keep kids entertained for hours, promoting creativity, physical activity, and endless fun.
Kids tend to easily get bored with toys that don’t challenge them, so when you want to buy kids outdoor toys for fun time, keep in mind the character of your child and their interests. Do they like sports and being quite physically active with balls or slides, or would they prefer playing with water? Would they enjoy jumping on a trampoline on their own, or they would prefer a game with the kids from the neighbourhood?
Water Play and Splash Pads
Beating the heat is possible even when there’s no pool. Water play and splash pads in your backyard offer all the fun for children when the weather’s getting hot. With a simple hose attachment and inflatable water slides, or full-fledged splash pads, they can have some refreshing fun during the hot summer days. Turn a game of hop and skip into a splash with hopscotch that has a built-in sprinkle system.
Outdoor Sports Toys
Encourage a love for sports by introducing interesting kids outdoor toys for a variety of sports. Colourful soccer balls and pop-up goals are excellent choices for a small team game or training drills. Basketball hoops and cricket sets will not only promote physical fitness but also teach teamwork and sportsmanship. Footies, bash sets, or grip ball sets are a guaranteed way to have busy and entertained kids.
Trampolines are a fantastic way for kids to burn off energy while improving their balance and coordination. They come in various sizes, shapes, and safety features, making them suitable for different age groups. Trampolines are perfect toys for little jumpers who want endless moments of joy.
Playing In the Pool
Pool toys are an excellent way to make pool time exciting for both beginner and more advanced swimmers. They instigate curiosity in the little ones and keep the older ones interested for longer periods. Choose outdoor toys for kids that are appropriate for their age and their swimming abilities. What toys are used in swimming pools? Here are a few:
- Pool Floats and Inflatables: Whether it’s a giant inflatable unicorn, a fun pool noodle, or a floating basketball hoop, pool floats add a splash of excitement to any pool party. Pool slides are always a favourite, as are the floating lounges. Inflatable chairs for the youngest ones and water polo or skim ball challenges for the bigger kids offer unlimited fun.
- Water Guns and Water Blasters: Endless water battles and laughter in the pool. These toys provide an excellent opportunity for friendly competition and cooling off during hot days.
- Diving Toys: Encourage underwater exploration and swimming skills with diving toys like diving rings, torpedoes, and dive sticks. These toys can make pool time more engaging and challenging for the more advanced swimmers. Supervision by an adult is always necessary though.
- Swim Training Aids: For younger kids who are learning to swim, swimming training aids like arm floaties, kickboards, and swim vests can boost their confidence and help them develop essential swimming skills.
Days at the beach can be a blast for both kids and adults. Apart from enjoying the sun and the cooling waves, playing games can make the experience even better. Parents will appreciate the compact and foldable toys that are easy to tag along to the beach, and the kids will love all the different ways to fulfil the day with fun. Here are some options:
- Sandcastle Building Sets: The beach is the perfect place for learning about building skills. Sandcastle building sets with mould and tools allow kids to unleash their creativity and construct impressive sand structures. And sometimes, they’re the only way to keep them out of the water for a while.
- Beach Ball Games: Beach balls are versatile toys that can be used for various games, such as beach volleyball, and catch, or even as a friendly competition to see who can keep it in the air the longest.
- Boogie Boards and Bodyboards: For kids who love the ocean, boogie boards and bodyboards provide a thrilling way to ride the waves and experience the joy of surfing at a beginner’s level. Most of them are suitable for children over the age of six and are constructed from high-density foam that is lightweight and ensures a smooth ride.
- Kites: On windy days at the beach, flying kites becomes a delightful pastime. Colourful kites soaring high in the sky can captivate kids and adults alike. Easy-to-fly 3D kites will put a smile on your kids while they dance cheerfully above your heads or gallop along the seashore.
With all toys, but especially pool and beach toys, keep in mind the kids’ age and abilities to swim. Check for age recommendations and guidance stated by the manufacturers. Even with all safety precautions, make sure you keep an eye on your kids whenever they are close to or in the pool, or the ocean.
Outdoor play is an integral part of a child’s development, and the right toys can enhance their overall experience. By incorporating stimulating toys into kids’ outdoor activities, parents can ensure their children have unforgettable and enjoyable adventures while promoting a healthy and active lifestyle. So, gear up and get ready for a summer full of fun and laughter with these fantastic toys!